General Racing Rules and Timekeeping Guidelines
- The participant must be a BCC member, or a guest that has signed
both the Ontario Cycling Association Waiver and the Brampton Cycling
Club waiver and is a member of an OCA affiliated club.
- Racing fees are $30.00 per season or $5.00 for event for BCC members, and $10.00 for non-BCC members per event.
- All BCC members must show their membership card to the timekeeper prior to being signed in.
BRING YOUR MEMBERSHIP CARD WITH YOU !
- OCA member guests racing fees are $10.00 per event. Both the OCA
and BCC waivers need to be signed.
Riders must provide their OCA registration
number and supply the name of the club they are affiliated through.
- Non-insured riders must join the Brampton Cycling Club before being
eligible to participate in any club sanctioned racing events.
- Alternatively, any guests may also just sign up as Brampton Cycling Club members.
- Out-of-province and foreign visitors wishing to race must first
seek approval from the club President in advance of an event , and then
follow the procedures outlined above.
- Racers will sign in with the timekeepers in good time before the
start of an event. A cut-off time to be able to sign in for a race will
be 15 minutes prior to the start.
- Time trial races are individual events, the participant will not be
allowed to receive any assistance during the race. Practices such as
drafting, motor-pacing, or receiving any form of coaching while on the
course will not be permitted.
- Rolling starts are not permitted during any racing event except for the sprints.
- The race courses used by the BCC are not closed to motor vehicle
traffic or pedestrians. You, as a cyclist, are expected to adhere to
the Highway Traffic Act and common sense to know when to give up the
right of way when necessary.
- Respect and courtesy to other users of the road including
pedestrians and drivers is, regardless of the circumstance, expected
from the participant. Any participant bringing disrepute to the BCC
will not be allowed to continue racing. Foul language will not be tolerated at any BCC event.
The timekeeper is in charge of the race and may cancel the race due to poor weather and/or road conditions.
The timekeeper may disallow a rider from competing due to unsafe equipment or unacceptable behavior.
Timekeepers/marshals are assigned as per the schedule, and are responsible for arranging a switch with another
BCC member in the event they are not available. Volunteers/guests may assist the scheduled race officials at any
event, but not replace them outright.
Traffic conditions make it essential that a marshal will do no more than indicate the spot at which a competitor
should turn or indicate the direction a rider should take. Negotiating a turn or change of direction is the sole
responsibility of each competitor.
Before The Race
- Collect all the timekeeping equipment from the previous timekeepers at the previous racing event.
- Ensure the course corners are swept clear of debris.
- Be present at the parking area 45 minutes prior to the start.
Collect the racing fees from BCC member participants (see above) and
the racing and/or club affiliation fees (see above) and the signed OCA
and BCC waivers from non-member participants. If in doubt,
ASK TO SEE THEIR MEMBERSHIP CARD !
- Do not accept entrants wishing to sign in past 15 minutes prior to the start time.
- Keep 2 copies of the timesheet using the carbon paper (one remains
at the start, the other taken to the finish line) . Enter the
participants name (in his/her preferred order of start for time trials,
- Enter the date. Enter the race location. Enter the timekeepers/marshals names.
- Ensure the race starts at the scheduled time.
At The Start
- Both timekeepers must synchronize stopwatches.
- Line up the riders in order of start, calling the names in groups
of 5. Maintain a safe condition on the road around the start. Waiting
riders must keep to the shoulder. Warm-ups are not permitted on the
course while the race is in progress.
For Time Trials Only
- A timekeeper or volunteer will hold the riders’ bike at the start line.
- Advise the rider when he/she has 30 seconds remaining, 10 seconds
remaining and then countdown the last 5 seconds to his/her start time.
- Riders are started at 1 minute intervals.
At The End
- Announce the unofficial (individual) times and race results at the parking area.
- Collected racing fees are to be forwarded to the club treasurer.
- Timesheets with the racing results are to be forwarded to the club racing executive.