• Welcome to Brampton Cycling Club Forum.

Daytime Running Lights

Started by John Bachmann, November 17, 2018, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Bachmann

The topic of Daytime Running Lights came up at our October AGM.  In response to that, BCC member Drew McVeigh has written a short but very informative article on the topic that is attached.  Your comments?

Geoff Milan

Thank you John.

My comments.
There is no question that DRL increase your visibility to vehicle drivers and this increased visibility increases safety.
The issue raised during AGM was whether DRL should be compulsory for BCC rides.
More than one member has expressed difficulties related to DRL being a distraction during close formation riding.
Could this perceived distraction result in decreased safety?

colin.moore

Frankly I don't know why bikes don't come with integrated lights and bells.   Imagine having to buy those as "accessories" for your car or motorcycle?!?

Drew2

markbikes

I always use daytime running lights riding solo and especially around busy urban streets. I keep them in a pulsing/flashing mode during the day (rear light always). Front light may have to be switched on (non pulse) at night depending on the level of street lighting.

Having said that, I am not sure that riding with DRLs in a group ride would make the group any safer. The choice of roads, which is usually very good in terms of moderate traffic on most BCC rides, is likely more important to personal safety. Sometimes I find riding behind another person with a bright strobing rear light can be distracting and a bit blinding so they may actually be a net negative in a group setting.

I use a Garmin radar rear light on the roads rides which is not particularly bright but shows me approaching cars (on my head unit), number and proximity to me. I always do a shoulder check before pulling out rather than relying on technology. While not fool proof, I feel a bit "naked" without it.

Common sense is always the best policy. Ride safely and within your comfort level. Technology ultimately won't save you from a poor driver but choice of roads/cycling paths helps as does group rides.   

BikeWriter

We have been riding with lights front and rear for years now and it has saved our lives a few times. When riding in groups or when riding in just two of us and I am up front leading most of the time with my wife, I shut off the tail light. It is too bright, 100+ luminums. I would suggest everyone to ride with them. We also ride with handlebar end mirrors and these too have saved us a few times. Have a great ride , Allen.