• Welcome to Brampton Cycling Club Forum.

Should we add “shorter” Saturday club rides to the 2019 touring schedule?

Started by Steve Juniper, December 04, 2018, 12:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Juniper

I've had discussions with a number of our members regarding the possibility of including both Short and Long scheduled Saturday rides for some of our tour groups. I understand the issue of shorter club rides was also brought up at the BCC's recent 2018 Annual General Meeting.

Some of the reasons that have been raised regarding shorter rides include:
- mid-season Saturday rides of 90 to 120 km are too long for some of our members; especially those who don't ride regularly.
- 5 to 6 hour ride times take up too much of Saturday; some of us have other commitments for Saturday afternoon.
- shorter scheduled Saturday rides would help attract new members otherwise intimidated by the length of our rides.

The Collingwood Cycling Club schedules both Short (2 to 3 hour) and Long (4 to 6 hour) Saturday rides for all of its Touring Groups. Separate tour leader are assigned for the short and long rides. As I start putting together the BCC's 2019 touring schedule I am considering doing the same thing, at least for our Easy Rollers, Touring, and maybe Classic tour groups. I'd appreciate feedback from our members on this issue. In particular it would help to hear from members interested to be Tour Leaders for shorter Saturday rides.

Thanks everyone!

Steve Juniper
VP Touring

Victor

Hi Steve, I prefer the longer rides, however, it would be nice to be able to finish earlier on some Saturdays.  Would it be possible to have earlier start times during the mid-summer months when the weather is warmer? 

Doug Richards

Hi Steve,
Some great comments.  On occasion, I find myself wanting to ride with the club but simply can't find the 4-6 hours required for the scheduled ride.  When this is the case, I often find myself avoiding the club ride and riding solo for the 2-3 hours available to me.  My preference would typically be to join the club ride.

Another option could be to consider having a group start some summer rides earlier, to take advantage of the longer daylight hours and warmer weather. This would allow the group to still get in 100k or so and be home by noon.   

Thanks

Doug Richards

Daphne

GodfreyT

Earlier start time like 7 am mid summer season. Ride distance doesn't matter to me, but just want to get home at noon. 

Kim M

Hi Steve, what about planning "shortcut" route options?  Providing an alternative link to cut the ride short on the way back. Riders could enjoy the group company for at least the first part of the ride. Might also support riders to try to bridge into a faster Saturday group if they know there's a shorter bail out option.  Existing start time is good because it gives those that want even more mileage time to do so before the group start, and those that choose to ride to the start the time to do so. Either way, thanks for seeking club member thoughts!
Not the fastest, not the strongest, but always thriving on trying my hardest!

Geoff Milan

Commander.
It's clear there is some demand for shorter rides and earlier starts from members as well as indications from former members that they too would have preferred a shorter ride option.
Our possible options are huge. Logistics and practicality become more difficult with proportion to changes.
I'm sure members recognize this.
Perhaps 2 routes posted for each group (L & S versions) with staggered start times would satisfy this demand and at the same time create increased scheduling complexities that are still manageable.
Any thoughts?
I would prefer leading longer rides but would be available to lead a limited number of shorter rides.
Feed back from other tour leaders willing to head shorter rides would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks and hope to see you soon folks  :)

JasonGRoth

Like Geoff and some others, I am a fan of the long Saturday rides. I look forward to spending time the time with my cycling friends.

Having said that, I heard numerous times this year from riders that they weren't joining on Saturday because they didn't have the time, and needed to be home earlier.

Geoff's suggestion of a "bail-out" option to allow a shorter ride has some merit, but means that some folks may be left to navigate on their own on the shorter route, which is less desirable.

There's clearly an interest for it, and it may also help solve our "too many riders in one group" issue, but the logistics of having 2 tour leaders for each group every Saturday might be a lot to manage.

As for Geoff, I'd agree to lead a limited number of shorter routes, but would prefer to lead the longer route option most weeks.

J.

Steve Maxwell

I think it comes down to the number of tour leaders we have. With sufficient tour leaders, we can have earlier riders and shorter ride options. I prefer the longer Saturday rides, but will be willing to lead a few shorter rides, especially mid-summer when the heat is on. I am also willing to lead earlier rides in June and July.

It will be difficult to have both long and short rides with the current list of tour leaders. We are going to need several new tour leaders to make this happen. If people step up to the call, we should be able to accomplish this.
BCC Webmaster

Steve Juniper

Thanks for the comments/feedback so far guys.

First I'd note that Geoff is correct in saying the logistics and difficulty will go up dramatically the more changes we try to implement all at once.
Some of you suggested earlier start times in the summer so our rides finish earlier. A number of members have made that suggestion in the past but I've also had others tell me 8:30am is early enough on a Saturday morning. And as Kim mentioned many members cycle to our start location so they're already starting earlier. For now I'm not keen to implement staggered Saturday start times ... as per my first note. Maybe we could move to an 8am start from June to August, which would get us back a little earlier and hopefully not turn off too many "non" early risers.
Most members who have asked about shorter rides are Easy Rollers or Touring riders. And new club members, unless they're experienced cyclist, will initially ride with the Beginners, Easy Rollers and/or Touring Groups. My though (which is definitely open to discussion) is to keep the Beginner rides pretty short all season. Early in the season (first 6 weeks maybe?) keep the Easy Rollers and Touring relatively short. Then through the late spring and summer schedule both short & long rides for Easy Rollers and Touring, and maybe Classic if there's enough demand. We'd need tour leaders for both the short and long rides which, as Steve mentioned, could be an issue unless I can recruit some more leaders. As Jason mentioned I don't think it's a good idea to just have a short-cut or bail-out option on longer routes without a designated leader for those riders. I'd prefer to have both the long and short rides scheduled on the Events Calendar with their own tour leader who can post a planned route. That would make it easier for members to decide which ride they want to join and register accordingly.

These are just my thoughts at present ... please continue with the comments and feedback!

Thanks, Steve J

Edward Weerdenburg

My preference is to maintain/lead our existing ride lengths. I agree with Steve M. - members who prefer shorter rides will have to step up to lead those rides.  I like the idea of starting a little earlier (i.e. 8:am) in the warmer months of July and August.

Ed W

Guy Kristof

Quote from: Steve Juniper on December 06, 2018, 11:59:44 PM
Thanks for the comments/feedback so far guys.

Most members who have asked about shorter rides are Easy Rollers or Touring riders. And new club members, unless they're experienced cyclist, will initially ride with the Beginners, Easy Rollers and/or Touring Groups. My thought (which is definitely open to discussion) is to keep the Beginner rides pretty short all season. Early in the season (first 6 weeks maybe?) keep the Easy Rollers and Touring relatively short. Then through the late spring and summer schedule both short & long rides for Easy Rollers and Touring, and maybe Classic if there's enough demand.

Thanks, Steve J

I feel this is the best solution.  I know that for 2018 I've hardly been on any club rides, but hope that will improve again for 2019.  This would prove to be beneficial for new members and members like myself who haven't had too much saddle time and need to get back into it properly.

I appreciate that this is at least being discussed now.
2014 Specialized Secteur Expert Disc

rprufer

I'd like 80km rides max during the hot summer months when it's over 28/humid.