• Welcome to Brampton Cycling Club Forum.

Jim Ritchie

Started by John Bachmann, November 25, 2019, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Bachmann

This message was received from Jodie Marsen, Jim Ritchie's daughter.

It is with deep sadness that on behalf of my family, I share with all of you, that our dad passed away yesterday [Nov 24] morning.
He was surrounded by my Mum, Gramma, Jason, Jackie, Janelle and myself and went very peacefully. 

My dad fought a hard battle with cancer.  He was so strong, positive and determined.  His spirit never faltered and till the final days, was still caring for everyone else around him and cracking jokes. 

We collectively cannot express our gratitude for everyone's support, kindness and positive thoughts and messages. Please feel free to continue to share your stories of our father.  He is to be remembered!

A very, very special man, that will be so greatly missed by all of us.

Sincerely,
Jodie (on behalf of all of us)

Note to Club Members: If you do have a story about Jim to share please do it via a Reply to this Message.

John Bachmann

This was submitted by PETE LIVINGSTONE

The following is how we became friends.

I'd been cycling with BCC for perhaps a year, when after a coffee break at Ray's in Alton, Jim's bike went missing. I don't know the whys and how's. (I think Roger Broadwell was involved but Jim for some reason suspected me as the culprit).

Weeks later, a group of us ended our ride with a snack at the Spirit Tree. I had struck up a conversation with the owner so I was the last to leave and when I went outside my fellow cyclists including Jim had departed and my bike was nowhere to be found. Jim did not admit to the deed but befriended me instead.

Upon his passing today, I cycled in Jim's memory and stopped at the Spirit Tree.  It was when I went outside and my bike was where I had left it, that I was overcome with the enormity of the loss of our dear friend.

John Bachmann

This was submitted by GEORGE SHEPPERDLEY

When we were on our first Eastern Townships ride organized by Roger. I left first after breakfast as we had a big hill to climb out of Sutton. Jim followed not long after and caught me at the top of the hill. He told me that he had forgotten to bring his passport and not to tell the others as they would cut the ride short.

We arrived at the border and the American customs told Jim to go back to the Canadian customs. After giving them all his information they consulted with the Americans and Jim was allowed to enter the States. We had a terrific lunch and then set off to cross the border at another location. When we got there the Quebec officer saw us guys in spandex coming and waved us right through. Don't think that would happen today.

John Bachmann

This was submitted by ROGER BROADWELL

Saddened to hear of Jim's passing.  I remember his pleasant personality on two Quebec cycling tours a few years ago. He was always the "good Samaritan" of the group rides. He will be missed.

John Bachmann

I rode with Jim enough times to learn that he was both a strong and generous rider with a reassuring, calm demeanor.  He seemed to take particular delight in staying with new riders at the back of the pack and coaching and encouraging them. At the Tour de Terra Cotta he helped the littlest kids get up Heritage Hills in the tykes race and a few times rode the citizens' race as a member of Team Ted.  He often brought his grandson Jack to the race and it was fun watching Jack grow from waist high to being just as tall as Jim in ten years.

When our club was contributing bikes to the Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Jim would show up to help assemble the bikes.

Over the last few years, Jim went through a protracted gauntlet of surgeries and therapies related to his lung disease but never lost his ability to smile.  He appreciated staying in touch with club mates even though he couldn't ride.  We will miss you, Jim.

I have posted a selection of photos of Jim from my BCC archives here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhbphotographs/albums/72157711941650503

clair

As a new rider, it was many times that Cap'n Jim hauled my ass back to the group after getting dropped. He was always gracious, kind and funny. Very sad to hear of his passing. I was lucky enough to ride with him again in the beginner group in the last couple of years. RIP Cap'n Jim. Heaven has a new "sweep".

vern

I have many fond memories of group rides with Jim. He had a unique sense of humour and was always willing to help others. On a hot, humid August day we were riding back from Creemore and three quarters of the way back I hit the wall, Jim noticed I was struggling . He dropped back and him and Pete pulled me back to the parking lot. This was  typical of Jim. RIP Jim, you will be missed.

Edward Weerdenburg

Jim was "simply the best" clubmate we were lucky to have in our club. Always in good humor and spirit, he never failed to be the first to help out with a mechanical problem or a struggling rider ( like myself on my very first ride with the club). Jim, you will be missed, it was a pleasure to ride along side you. RIP my friend.

Ed W

Roy Buchanan

Very sorry to hear about Jim.  A few years ago, Jim and a few others and I did a ride down the Humber Trail.  At Raymore park, Jim, as a retired firefighter, gave a history lesson on how Hurricane Hazel wiped out a large number of homes and residents, as well as 4 firefighters at that location.  I have led a ride annually along that route and repeat Jim's lesson to the riders when we reach Raymore park.
RIP Jim.